The Governors and Trustees of Shiphay Learning Academy are seeking to appoint to a support staff post, with teaching responsibility. This post would suit experienced teaching assistants who are confident in managing whole classes, and support staff with aspirations of teaching training in the future.
Full-time Higher Level Teaching Assistant (HLTA) post, providing Leadership and ECT cover by leading whole-class lessons across the school.
REQUIREMENTS OF THE HLTA POST
The post is a full-time role providing whole-class cover for classes as part of class teachers’ Leadership or Early Career Teacher (ECT) release time. The role involves working collaboratively with class teachers to plan, teach and assess so all pupils, including pupils with special educational needs and disabilities, achieve success in line with the school values and curriculum aims.
The post holder is responsible for the progress of pupils’ learning in a range of classroom settings, including working with whole classes where the assigned teacher is not present, in line with regulations and guidance under Section 133 of the Education Act 2002 and School Teachers’ Pay and Conditions Document 2017.
The post holder will be required to work flexibly as part of the teaching support staff with guidance from the school leadership team, year leaders and class teachers to fulfil the following responsibilities:
- Prepare lessons using teachers’ medium - and long-term plans, contributing to the planning cycle including evaluating and adjusting lessons in response to pupils’ needs.
- Teach whole classes as part of Leadership and ECT release time.
- To provide short-term cover within any age group in response to teacher absence.
- Provide verbal and written feedback on lesson content, pupil responses to learning activities and pupil behaviour, to teachers and pupils in line with school policy.
- Motivate and progress pupils’ learning following school policies and guidance from class teachers.
- Organise and safely manage the learning environment and resources.
- Assess pupils’ responses to learning tasks and where appropriate, modify methods to meet individual and/or group needs.
- Promote and support the inclusion of all pupils, including those with specific needs, both in the classroom as part of first-quality teaching and through intervention work.
- Deploy any available, additional support staff effectively within the lesson.
- Use positive behaviour management strategies in line with the school’s policy and procedures to contribute to a purposeful learning environment and encourage pupils to participate fully, interact effectively and work cooperatively with others.
- Support pupils in social and emotional well-being, reporting problems to the teacher as appropriate.
HLTAs in this role may also undertake some or all of the following:
- Record basic pupil assessment data against learning objectives.
- Support children’s learning through play.
- Assist with break-time supervision including facilitating games and activities.
The working hours are 32.5 hours per week, 5 days (Monday – Friday, 8.30am – 4.00pm) The starting salary will be £16,977, which is Grade F, Scale Point 12, for 39 weeks per year (Full Time Equivalent £22,571).
Please see the job description below for further details regarding this post.
Deadline for applications: Thursday 26th May 2022 @ 9.00am
Interview date: TBC
Start date: 1st September 2022 or earlier if available
The application form can be downloaded below and completed applications should be sent to:
Riviera Education Trust,
Oldway Primary School, Higher Polsham Road, Paignton, TQ3 2SY
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note, in line with our Safer Recruitment policy, references will be requested after shortlisting as part of the selection process.
Riviera Education Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of its pupils. As this post meets the requirements in respect of exempted questions under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, all applicants who are offered employment will be subject to an enhanced DBS check and references before the appointment is confirmed. This will include details of cautions, reprimands or final warnings as well as convictions.